Sunday, May 3, 2009

Beta 4.0 Release

Beta 4.0 is now available for download >>>HERE<<<

If you had a previous version, you will have to uninstall first, but no other changes should be necessary.


Improvements - Beta 4 finally eliminates the dreaded GridView, allowing free access to the database. That means it is now possible to generate any search you want. The first stage of this process is the Advanced Search.

> The Advanced Search is functional
> Three tiered sort tools are now available
> Hardcoded filepaths are gone, and the program should be able to run from any directory, on any hard drive.
> Numerous subtle improvements to the GUI, mostly just tweaking the alignment of controls
> The database has been updated, fixing several hundred cards with cut-off text
> Most promo cards are included
> Alara Reborn is included
> Saving now works like any text document, meaning it warns you about closing without saving, and lets you choose a save location.


Problems & Bugs - While numerous improvements have been made, some technical difficulties have cropped up.

> Sorting processes for Card Type are buggy. I'm aware of the problem, but not sure how to fix it in a reasonable manner. The only fix I know of right now is to parse (read) the type line of each card, which is *slightly* time consuming and wasteful. By slightly, of course, I mean "omg panic" slightly.

> A similar situation with the "Distinguish Number Of Colors" filter option. This one is easier to fix, but I'd prefer to fix it through the database query (automatically) rather than add yet another column for such a narrow purpose.

> The search query is now generated live, and might have some bugs in it. It shouldn't cause any actual problems, but let me know what settings you used to cause the problem so I can fix it.

> The small card tooltip is still really wonky, but I disabled it by default so it isn't too annoying now.


What's Next - Here's what I have planned for the next couple of months:

> Fixes to the above

> Fixing the "uninstall the old version" problem, so installing updates is simple.

> User profile saving (saving of display settings, search settings, and default files to open)

> A card detail window, similar to Gather. This would show all the information about a single card, including alternate printings, and will give you a text field for jotting down notes.
For example: "note: Bob wants this card"

> Deck editing? I'm still thinking about how to do this. In theory it should be straightforward, because all the groundwork is already laid, but I want to meet with a professional developer and show him (her) my work first.
I plan on rebuilding everything using .NET 2008, making the most of everything I learned the first time, and the more work I do in 2005, the more I have to rebuild later. :P

No comments: